- What are your hobbies? I love reading (lately that has translated into a love of audiobooks and podcasts), spending time outside, and making art. Recently I have been particularly enjoying making digital drawings for my STEM Puns project.
- Why did you become a teacher? While I was doing science outreach work in schools and summer camps, I found a passion for teaching and connecting with learners. Teaching is both fun and challenging in how dynamic it is, and I find that so fulfilling.
- Why did you start a teaching blog? I started this teaching blog because I find sharing what I am learning and doing to be extremely motivating. On my teaching Instagram (@madame_i_am), I found that writing helps me to reflect on my teaching, and drives me to continue learning and trying new things while also making it easier to share with colleagues. I have learned so much from other teaching blogs, so I am thrilled to be working on my own now.
- What grades have you taught? I have taught K-6 French Immersion in a variety of roles. My practicum placements were K/1 and grade 6. My first contract was covering a maternity leave in a 2/3 class. The following year, my first full year as a classroom teacher was in a 4/5 class. After that, I taught two years of Kindergarten, followed by this past year’s K/1 class. This upcoming year I will be back to Kindergarten.
- Where did you get the name for your blog? I go by Madame Allen at school, and a few Septembers ago as a I was thinking of starting my teaching Instagram account, one of my new Kindergarten students called me “Madame I Am”.
I’d love to read your answers to these questions (or any other questions you might have) in the comments!