This year I have been teaching a K/1 combined class, which has been a great experience for me overall because of the team I work with. (It was also cool because my first practicum placement as a student-teacher was K/1!) I have learned so much from collaborating with my Grade 1 team members – I have been fortunate enough to have three stellar, experienced teachers to work with, and that has been especially helpful during remote learning! Next year I have been assigned to Kindergarten, and I feel a lot more confident in that role with a greater sense of Grade 1.
I have also benefited from resources and ideas created and shared by the fabulous early years French Immersion community I’ve connected with through Instagram. Not having to create these resources from scratch really saved me, and helped me to better show up for my students.
Instagram/Blog Inspiration for Grade 1
- Madame Belle Feuille’s blog is an incredible resource, particularly to get visuals and graphic organizers for Grade 1 French Immersion teachers in Alberta
- Creating a collaborative map of the community
- Sight word tic-tac-toe
- Skip counting poster wall made by tracing feet (2s), single hand (5s), and both hands (10s)
- This is something I saw as a student-teacher, and it’s a nice way to help students feel a sense of connection to their classroom.
Teachers Pay Teachers Resources for Grade 1
- Lucy from @forfrenchimmersion makes a lot of amazing resources. Here are a few of my favourites for Grade 1:
- Mot du jour – This has been especially handy for our families during remote learning! She has a few freebie versions, including spring and summer, if you want to try before you buy.
- Classroom décor bundle – It has so many things that have come in handy in the last few years: a bundle that keeps on giving!
- Vocabulary sheets – Free when you sign up for her newsletter!
- Mme Andrea (@mme.andrea) has great resources that were helpful for both my Ks and grade 1s:
- Primary French Immersion (@primary.french.immersion)
- Mme Mariah’s (@mme.mariah) resources that worked well for my grade 1s:
- The Math centres bundle by Madame French Immersion is another treasure trove of ideas, and it was so useful for both Kindergarten and Grade 1. I was so happy to have these ready-made math centres this year!
- Stacking cup math by Erika Deane was a lot of fun
- Madame Julianne’s 100th day of school stuff was helpful because the 100th day of school was also Valentine’s Day, and it was right before Pink Shirt Day. I was so glad to have all those hands-on and movement-based activities!
- Reading Strategies Posters by French Buzz
- French Writing Mats by Mme McIntosh
What are your favourite resources and ideas for Grade 1 French Immersion?